Wenco International Mining Systems (www.wencomine.com), a subsidiary of Hitachi, is a software development and technology company that provides a series of technology product lines related to optimization and improvement of mines and material movers worldwide. Some of our products include:
● GPS-based fleet management systems
● Collision avoidance safety systems
● Asset Health and predictive maintenance
● Optimized Smart Dispatch
● Autonomous trucks and specialized automation
● Analytics and BI
As Wenco continues to build the next generation of technology, we need a wide range of professionals to help us achieve our objectives. We are currently looking for a full-time Applied Research Scientist to join our head office in Richmond BC.
Reporting to the Director of Software Engineering, the Applied Research Scientist is responsible for designing, developing and validating Machine Learning/AI models and solutions in accordance with the Development teams’ guidelines and processes. The successful candidate will work with diverse data sources, build Machine Learning concepts, contribute to building pipeline infrastructure, integration of models on edge or cloud environments, and collaboratively iterate concepts to produce novel end-user experiences.
Key Deliverables & Responsibilities:
• Lead in employing and demonstrating machine/deep learning technologies through improvements of Wenco products and services.
• Work closely with engineering and product teams to help invent, build and monitor state-of-the-art models, prototypes, pipelines and solutions.
• Collaborate with DevOps engineers and software developers on productization of models, building of appropriate data pipelines and supporting infrastructure.
• Analyze, architect, modify, write, implement and validate software code related to creation or maintenance of software applications and services.
• Creation of software requirement documentation, software design analysis and implementation.
• Produces accurate software implementation estimates and delivers upon agreed schedule.
• Provide input for the development and ongoing maintenance of technical documentation.
• Advise product management team of feasible approaches and options, communicating design needs to engineering team.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY REQUIRED:
Experience, Knowledge & Requirements
• A graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering with strong emphasis on Machine Learning.
• Experience in applying machine learning to practical problems.
• Strong understanding of statistics concepts, Machine Learning/Deep Learning algorithms, mathematical optimization, computational complexity, reliability and scalability of algorithms.
• Strong understanding of algorithm coding, validation, complexity and performance analysis.
• Experience with productization or algorithm concepts.
• Experience building data and modeling pipelines, productization of algorithm concepts.
• Experience applying signal processing and machine learning techniques to time-series sensor data (GPS, motion, pressure, temperature and other related to machinery operation).
• Experience with one or more of the following: Python, R, Scala, etc.
• Ability to rapidly prototype and deploy solutions using machine learning and data science toolkits or frameworks such as the following: SciPy, NumPy, Pandas, MathplotLib, scikit-learn, Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop.
• Ability to work with datasets using SQL and apply data engineering concepts.
• Experience with application of optimization techniques to medium and large-scale traffic management operations (asset).
Skills and Abilities
• Strong active listening, writing and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Highly self-motivated and able to follow instruction.
• Sharp technical, analytical and problem-solving abilities with the ability to take on high level requirements and implement a solution.
WHY JOIN WENCO?
● We provide opportunities for career-growth within a fast-scaling company
● We have remote-work flexibility (most roles working 100% remotely due to COVID-19)
● We offer an extensive benefits plan, including a personal/health spending allowance
● We offer opportunities for continuous training and professional development (in-house and external) to learn the latest technologies
● We offer our employees a profit-sharing plan that provides them with the benefits of their hard work
● We provide free parking and shuttle service for employees using transit
● We are heavily involved in the community and join various events of non-profit organizations
● We pride ourselves on our company culture (our last Employee Survey resulted in a score of 100% in inclusiveness and diversity)
● We offer much more!
Wenco advances the efficiency and safety of the world’s surface mining equipment through our fleet management systems. We are committed to providing a stable yet exciting workplace environment for individual employees to build and grow their career with the Company.
Wenco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The information in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. It is not intended as an employment contract. Job descriptions are subject to change, which may not necessarily affect compensation.
Interested in Wenco mining solutions? Reach out today to find answers to your questions, access more product information, or request a demo.